A journey of exploration on the lonely mountain. Overlooking the karst plateaus of Montelago and Colfiorito, Monte Pennino is an area of caves and crystal clear waters. From the town of Castelraimondo, we will descend to the paper mills of Pioraco along the panoramic trail of Li Vurgacci, arriving at Sefro and the Valle Scurosa refuge via the Fairy trail. From there, you will climb the remote slopes of Monte Pennino, where the summer sunrise reveals the optical magic of the Fata Morgana effect.
Day 1, 30th July: Castelraimondo-Pioraco-Sefro-Rifugio Valle Scurosa
Distance: 19,5 km
Altitude change: 800m ascent, 500m descent
Day 2, 31st July: Rifugio Valle Scurosa-Monte Pennino-Colfiorito
Altitude change: 660m ascent, 500m descent
Highest point: 1200m (Monte Acuto pass)
Equipment: (may vary according to weather conditions): hiking boots, summer hiking clothing, windproof jacket, hat, sunscreen, packed lunch for the first day, sleeping bag, camping mat/inflatable mattress, water (at least 1 litre).
Useful items: sunglasses, snacks, camera, binoculars, head torch, swimsuit, sandals, insect repellent.
Cost: 265 € - includes:
- Organization & arrangements;
- 2 AIGAE* and/or AMM** guides with RCT*** insurance;
- personal accident insurance;
- overnight accommodation in the refuge on 30th July;
- dinner in the refuge on 30th July;
- breakfast on 31st July;
- packed lunch for the 31st July;
- admission ticket to the festival;
- berth in a 4- or 6-person tent already set up at the festival;
- transfer from Colfiorito to Castelraimondo on Sunday morning, 4th August.
*Associazione Italiana Guide Ambientali Escursionistiche: Italian Association of Environmental Excursion Guides
**Accompagnatore di Media Montagna: Registered Mountain Guide
***Responsabilità Civile verso terzi: Third party liability